Monday, March 16, 2015

Roman Holiday

This semester is really starting to fly by now, and I just want everything to slow down! Next week we have midterms (eep) and then Spring Break- which will be amazing, but that also means that I am halfway done with studying abroad and I just really don’t want to think about that. :(


Yeapsira is now 6 years old!
This past Tuesday was Yeapsira’s birthday; so as soon as I was done with my photography class at 8:30 (that class feels longer every week), I raced home for dinner and the celebrations. With help from Sofia, Francesca had made an orange chocolate cake that was decorated with a very wide variety of candles. We all sang “Tanti Auguri” to Yeapsira- the Italian version of the happy birthday song- and then he blew out his candles in multiple large puffs. 


Thursday I left for my big trip of the weekend: Rome! I went with Michelle, Liz, Marina, Lorena, and Annie!! Our train departed at 3:05 pm and we made it with much more time to spare than Jackie and I did when we went to Bologna! Because the train ride was longer- about an hour and a half- they also served us a small snack- coffee and chocolate cookies. No complaints from me about that!


Once we got to Rome, we realized we were all so excited to get to Rome and to be able to explore on our own that we hadn’t really made a plan of what to do first (oops.). No big deal though, we just decided to go ahead and find our accommodations. Our longest walk by far- about 45 minutes from the train station! But then we were much closer to many of the attractions in the city center. After the owner of the apartment let us in and gave us the keys, we spent a little time enjoying the couches and the wifi. By then it was around 5/6ish, so we left to find dinner.


Someone had been given a recommendation for a place to eat so our fearless guide Liz with a map on her phone led the way. It was considerably colder and I was considerably more tired than when we were walking before, but I think dinner was worth it! We paid 20 euros each for a full traditional Italian 4-ish course meal that also included unlimited red wine. First we had antipasti (appetizers) which consisted of numerous small fried things, plus various types of pizza. Next we had small portions of 2 different types of pasta for the primo course: one seemed to be a carbonera, and the other simply a tomato sauce- but it also had bacon. Apparently, they were supposed to come back and ask us if we would like meat or fish for our secondo course, but instead they just brought out dessert and we didn’t realize until later. Still a little disappointed about this, but then again- I honestly may not have been able to eat it! I was almost full after the first pasta dish. In my opinion, the best part of dessert was an iced coffee cream that came in a large shot glass- reminded me of tiramisu, but cold and with more coffee.


"4" course dinner

Because we wanted to do and see a lot on Friday, and because traveling is tiring, we all crashed somewhat early that night. The next day we left around 8 am to walk towards the Vatican museum for our 9 am ticket entrance. We also stopped at a bar for a quick breakfast- coffee and croissants- and then Michelle realized she left the ticket vouchers in her backpack… at the apartment. I ran back with her to get them and then we all continued walking to the Vatican Museum. It was a bit of a hassle to find the entrance, but I was very glad that we decided to order the tickets online as that probably saved us about an hour time that we would have otherwise spent waiting in line.


The museum was beautiful- especially the Sistine Chapel. I had been before on the choir tour, but it’s always nice to have more time to explore and read things at your own pace. Additionally, we went through a contemporary art exhibit that I definitely don’t remember seeing previously.


After exiting the museum, we headed back to the apartment to grab our bags (our host had allowed us to leave them there for the morning- which my shoulders definitely appreciated). We were able to meet up with Margaret and her friend Alyssa (visiting this week), who were also in Rome! Then, together, we all went to find lunch. I split a primo course of spaghetti with a cream sauce and black pepper and a secondo course of rosemary chicken with Liz—best of both worlds. Lorena, Liz, Marina and I also ordered a bruschetta appetizer and Bellini cocktails- when in Rome, right?



Most of the girls in my group wanted to see the Colosseum and since it closed at 4, that was our next stop. In an attempt to save time and help our already tired feet, we purchased bus passes (1.50 euros each). Once we arrived, I decided to save 12 euros (the entrance fee) and simply walk around the monument instead of venturing inside again. Liz did the same as she will be taking a guided tour when her parents come to visit later. After the other 4 finished exploring the inside of the Coliseum, it was gelato time (but seriously, is it ever not gelato time?). We then made our way back to the pantheon, just in time to walk around in our history notes some more. I’m always happy to be travelling with other ID majors that understand when I freak out about the architecture and its significance.


Strawberry and Tiramisu

We still had a fair amount of time left before our train came, so we also made it to the Trevi Fountain- which is unfortunately closed for construction- and the Spanish steps. Dinner was at a small pizzeria where we were able to buy pizza by the slice (and weight). Then we caught another bus to get to the train station, bought some postcards while waiting for said train that ended up being delayed 10 minutes, and then finally boarded to travel back to home sweet Firenze.  

Annie’s flight was early Saturday morning (5 am ish) and I’m still just really sad that she had to leave. I do miss some little things from America (reliable internet, free restrooms, big sidewalks…) but mostly it’s just people. If all my friends and family could just move here, I’d be golden. :)


Saturday morning Jackie and I had tentatively planned to walk to Piazza Michelangelo to see the sunrise, but after our alarms went off at 5:20 we both laughed and promptly fell back asleep. Maybe another morning. Or maybe we’ll just go for the sunset again.


When we did wake up at the much more reasonable time of 8:30/9, Sofia and Francesca were getting ready for a day of baking cakes! They made 4 or 5 cakes for Yeapsira’s birthday party and we got to help. And by help I really mean “stand in the kitchen with aprons on and observe the cooking process.” One cake had oranges, chocolate, and pears in the batter and once it finished baking Francesca sprinkled powdered sugar on top. It was so interesting to be able to see her cook- I just hope she will indeed give us the recipes for all these amazing dishes! It was somewhat difficult to look at Francesca without giggling that morning, because she was wearing an apron that was apparently a wedding present. I’ll just put the 1000 word worth picture of her posing in it here and leave it at that (lol).


Jackie, Sofia and I in our aprons!
Around noon, Jackie and I ventured down the street to explore a smaller market –Mercato di Sant’Ambrogio. It was much less touristy than the central market and felt much more authentic. I was able to get 4 apples and 3 oranges for 1 euro and 30 cents and all the produce looked amazing. I was strongly tempted to also buy some raspberries, but since I knew we were having cake later I decided to wait for another day.


Jackie and I at Yeapsira's birthday party!
Yeapsira’s party was held at a small park about 15 minutes away from the apartment. We walked over there around 3 and helped Francesca set everything up. Francesca is apparently very well known for her signature tuna “sauce” (for lack of a better word). It seems very simple- just tuna, mayonnaise, and capers- but it is delicious and I’m excited to try making it at home.
 At the party, she served it on small slices of bread, and also put it out as a dip for carrots. I found it interesting that all the children loved it and kept coming back for more. Such a big difference from if you were to make tuna for most children that age in the US!


One of Yeapsira’s presents (probably his favorite) was a full body captain America costume- complete with a mask and shield. Immediately after receiving the gift, he started taking his clothes off to change into it! He’s also worn it a lot at home ever since! Jackie and I are hoping to get a picture of us with him in costume- oh, the irony!


Margherita pizza from Gusta <3 td="">
For dinner that night, I went to Gusta pizza (finally!) with Michelle, Liz, Lexi, Margaret, Claire and Marina. I got the Magherita pizza and got about halfway through before I had to stop and get a box. Then we got gelato; where I had coffee and mixed nut flavors.



Sunday was a general “get stuff done day” as most everyone had a lot to catch up on. I finished most of my homework and studied for the exams I think will be more difficult; along with looking up and deciding on what classes to register for next semester as I am scheduled to register over spring break. Yay- more stress. Still, it’s not very much compared to my workload at home. But I also don’t have the chance to travel or live in Florence at home. :)



Caffe Latte 
I also had a chance to go for a coffee break around 3 or 4 to help keep me focused. All the coffee is amazing here, and I’m not sure how I’ll survive when I get home. Starbucks does not compare.


For dinner, Jackie and I went to a restaurant quite close to our apartment- Gusto Leo. It was kind of touristy, but not too bad- our waiter let me order all in Italian without stopping me or making me switch to English. We split a ¼ liter of the house red wine and then I got “Tagliatelle Boscaiola”- long, thick noodles (kind of like linguini) with a tomato cream sauce, mushrooms, and peas.

When we returned home, we got the chance to taste Sofia’s cake of the week- Castagnaccio. It’s definitely an acquired taste- Jackie was not a fan. It’s not very sweet, but I liked it- more of a dried fruit sweetness. The cake is made from chestnut flour and has pine nuts and raisins added in. I looked it up later and learned that it’s a traditional plain cake of the Tuscany that’s usually an autumn dessert (which makes sense with the nuts and raisins). 




Now I’m trying to prepare myself for midterm week/wondering how I will pack for an entire 10 days of traveling in a small bag that I can carry easily/getting super excited for Spring Break!


No comments: