Friday, April 10, 2015

If You Give Your Host Brother a Birthday Gift...

Here is another weekly update to prove that I do actually have class and I'm doing more than just travelling around Europe. Even though this week was stressful because of the lack of Monday and the addition of classes on Friday, it was still pretty good. Although every week is pretty good here :)


On Tuesday in my photography class, I was exposed (ha) to analog photography and working in the darkroom. I don't think it's my calling at all, but it was really neat to learn about and at least each picture I developed looked better than the last. 

Wednesday afternoon, I found a delightful English book exchange store. I went to find a book I need to write my final paper for my literature class (which I found successfully) and then wandered around happily. I wanted to buy everything in the store but I remembered my already tight packing space (and weight limit), so I refrained. I also went into the yarn shop right around the corner from my apartment that I've passed multiple times and found some great yarn on sale! My mom and I can make scarves and such with it and they will be a great reminder of my lovely stay in Italy. 


Thursday morning, I decided to give Yeapsira his belated birthday present: teenage mutant ninja turtle toys! He loved them and refused to stop playing with them after he received them. I got a huge smile and even a hug. Later Francesca had a very hard time getting him dressed and out the door! (Oops) I even saw the toys reappear at dinner that night and at breakfast Friday morning. 

Since my first class on Friday didn't begin until 6 pm (my normal Monday schedule minus pilates class), I signed up for an activity through LDM with Michelle. We went to Villa Petraia with 3 other students and a guide, which is one of the only Medici Villa that is open to the public. The gardens were my favorite part as living in the center of the city makes me feel a little nature deprived. Inside the villa, there were many references to historical styles I have studied along with handcraft techniques such as marquetry woodwork and intarsia stone. 




When we returned to the city, Michelle and I had a nice lunch (salad) and then gelato for dessert! After all... You Only Florence Once. 



No comments: