Monday, February 16, 2015

Zuppa di fagioli for dayzz


Welcome to week 3 of my blog, in which I still don't update it frequently enough. 

The dish on the left is called Minestra di Fagioli (we had it on Friday). On wednesday we had relatively the same soup, but without the small riggatoni like pasta in it. That type is called "Zuppa di fagioli." With or without the pasta, the soup is made from garbanzo beans, milk, and bread. I would be perfectly happy if Francesca decided to serve it every single night- SO good. 

At least 3 times now, I've been to the chocolate fair (near Santa Maria Novella Chiesa). I believe this was the last week for it, which is sad because that means no more free chocolate samples. I basically just walked along the entire row of tents and by the time I got to the end my sweet tooth was well satisfyed. Most every tent (booth?) gives out samples. I strongly considered buying some- because...chocolate, but everything is 1) really expensive and 2) sold at a certain price per 100 grams, which I have 0 concept of how much or little that is. So I was content to walk, get samples, and take pictures. 


This weekend, I stayed in Florence- which was nice after a busy week. It also allowed me more time to hang out with the Ricci family and bond more with the kids- mostly Sofia. 

Friday I did some more exploring and walking around Florence (with no particular destination in mind) with Marina, Madeline, Lynde, and Deanna. It was the perfect day for it- blue skies and no rain.The night before I had been able to get some nice rain boots and 2 scarves, so while they shopped some (and found some nice shoes!!) I enjoyed window shopping and taking mental notes of stores to return to or restaurants I want to come back and try. 

We ended up going across the Ponte Vecchio and got lunch at San Spirito Ristorante- a more expensive lunch because we sat down and hence had to pay the cover charge- but sooooo worth it. I had gnocchi with truffle oil and cheese, as did everyone else at the table, aside from Lynde who had spaghetti with cherry tomatoes. 

All along our walk I was taking pictures of the city/people and testing out my camera's manual mode/my ability to use my camera's manual mode. I'm really happy to be taking the photography class here because it ensures that I take even more pictures than I normally would; especially after I feel at home in Florence and lose some of the initial awe. I hope I am moving past merely a visiting tourist taking pictures of everything just to take pictures of everything- but taking pictures in and around the city to truly capture the beauty of its architecture, nature, and people. 


Saturday was a more relaxing morning (breakfast at 8:15, instead of 7:30!!). I worked on some homework/this blog and took a small nap at some point as well. I also gave out valentine cards that I brought with me from home to Sofia, Lapo, and Yeapsira (and also one to Francesca). They seemed to really enjoy them and Sofia immediately taped them all up on a wall in the kitchen near their calendar. She also tried to translate them all, and did so flawlessly until she got to the word "Stylin'." I explained to her that it was slang, and that I picked it for her because she's cute and fashionable- fashionista! 

Later, I showed Sofia my mask for carnevale- which she was in love with! I asked her if she had one, and when she said no we got Francesca's permission to walk to the 1 euro store (basically the best store ever). After much deliberation, we settled on a silver mask with pink and red decoration and a feather at the top. She wore it for most of the day, which was more than I wore mine!

Francesca and Sofia at the "flash mob"
After lunch (leftover quiche from the night before, toast with sausage, and penne pasta with olive oil and cheese), Francesca, Sofia, Yeapsira and I walked about 3 minutes down the street to see Francesca's flash mob! Not exactly what I was expecting- there was no dancing, but still interesting. It was more of a gathering of people to raise awareness and draw attention to equal marriage rights. It was also very, very short. The main part of the "flash mob" consisted of hugging people around you, and then waving signs in the air and cheering. And then it was over! 

We then returned home so "i bambini" (the kids) could prepare for their carnevale festival! It was not a town festival like I originally supposed, but rather an event put on by Lapo and Sofia's school. Before arriving at the actual event we met up with 2 children that go to school with Francesca's children and their mother. And then also Sofia's cousin and her father. At Piazza di Santa Croce they had an excellent time having a confetti war. I am still finding small pieces of paper in my clothes and all over my room. 

Sofia and Lapo opted to spend the rest of the day with their cousin and uncle while Francesca, Yeapsira and I went to the school festival (ironic because it's their school; Yeapsira goes to a different school since he is younger). The festival was fun- reminded me of events we have at home like field day, Octoberfest, or other fund raising events that take place on a non-school day. I also got to try numerous cakes and foods that are traditional for Carnivale and specific to Florence. Unfortunately I was too busy eating them to photograph them. :/

Sunday I slept in some before meeting up with Deanna and Ferrah for lunch at a very popular sandwich shop. The line extended into the street on both sides (evidently they have a store on either side of the street) and we kept having to shift or move slightly every time a car or bike wanted to pass. The sandwich was delicious though (well worth the wait, and the 5 euros). I had turkey,mozzarella,tomato, lettuce, and black truffle oil. 

From left to right: Lapo, Lilliana, Yeapsira;
& Sofia on top
When I returned home, Francesca's sister Barbara and her husband were visiting with their 2 year old daughter (Francesca's niece) Lilliana. I got to talk with them for a while and play with the kids who were already hyper due to lollypops that Barbara brought over. 

I left around 4:15 to meet up with Marina to walk around some. She was looking for a rain jacket, but after no luck we returned to her apartment to make tortellini for dinner with Lynde and Madeline. I spent the rest of the evening planning trips and weekends for the rest of the semester since there are several sales going on right now. Planning and figuring out travels is much more stressful than homework or anything else, but it's a nice stress to have. :) 

We paused the research and travel investigations around 8:30 for a gelato break. Francesca had recommended a specific gelateria to me earlier; evidently Sofia's favorite place! So we walked there, even though it was across the river-- gotta walk off that pasta somehow-- and I'm so glad. You can usually tell if a gelateria is authentic by their use (or the existence of) shiny metal plates that hide the gelato. Many touristy and "fake" gelaterias pile the gelato very high and it looks fluffy-> that's bad gelato! The place we went had the metal plates and everything was delicious. As Madeline correctly stated: "gelato is life changing." And if that's not the perfect ending to this post, then I don't know what is!

No comments: